Montessori Training Centre of BC
A Place of Education for adults on the nature of childhood
AMI Elementary Montessori Teacher Training
“The secret of good teaching is to regard the child’s intelligence as a fertile field in which seeds may be sown, to grow under the heat of flaming imagination. Our aim, therefore, is not merely to make the child understand, and still less to enforce him to memorize, but so to tough his imagination, as to enthuse him to his inmost core.”
(To Educate the Human Potential, pg.11)
AMI Elementary Director of Training
June 17, 2019 – July 19, 2019 (5 weeks)
This Course is required for all students who do not hold an AMI Primary diploma
July 22, 2019 – August 23, 2019 (5 weeks)
June 29, 2020 – August 21, 2020 (8 weeks)
June 28. 2021 – August 20, 2021* (8 weeks)
*Dates for Summer Three are approximate and are to be confirmed by January 2021
Masters of Education Opportunity
Graduates of the program are eligible to apply to be transferred into the Educational Leadership M.Ed degree program through Vancouver Island University in Nanaimo, BC. An ideal opportunity for those hoping to obtain a graduate degree by completing practice based projects and/or research! Please see downloadable information form below.
Elementary Course Overview
- Theory lectures on the Montessori philosophy and psychology
- Reading/study of Dr. Maria Montessori’s books including directed reading seminars
- Presentation lectures on the purpose and use of the variety of Montessori activities
- Supervised practice with the Montessori materials
- Observation in Montessori Elementary classes
- Teaching practice in Montessori classes directed by AMI Elementary Diploma holder
- Written work – the student compiles a reference album for each area of the
prepared environment with an essay style introduction for each album.
- Material making assignments – students make activities for the classroom to keep for their own use
AMI Primary (3 to 6) Diploma or AMI Foundation Course required for preparation, which is a 5-week full-time preparatory course run prior to the start of the Elementary 6 to 12 Program.
Bachelor’s Degree in any field.
English Proficiency for ESL Students:
IELTS Academic minimum 6.5, with no band under 6.0; TOEFL iBT 80 with no section under 19; TOEFL computer 220; or an equivalent test score, as determined by the Montessori Training Centre of BC. If one has studied successfully in a post-secondary institution where English is the language of instruction, this will be considered equivalent to a test score (no further tests required).
Requirements for Elementary Certification
The Montessori Elementary Diploma is granted upon satisfactory completion of the course requirements in:
- attendance at lectures and supervised practice
- observation and practicum requirements
- material making assignments
- written assignments
- reference albums and resource manuals
- passing grades on written examinations
- passing grades in oral examinations conducted by Examiners of the AMI
Elementary Campus, a satellite campus of the MTCBC
North Star Elementary
1325 East Keith Road, Lynnmouth Ave, North Vancouver, BC V7J 1J3