Cost: $1000.00 CAD
- Online Synchronous Sessions
- Saturdays, 8:30am – 11:30am PST: Sept. 23rd, 30th, Oct. 21st
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 6:00pm – 9:00pm PST: Sept. 26th, 28th, Oct. 3rd, 5th , 17th, 19th, 24th, 26th
- Asynchronous Sessions: Videos, readings and assignments according to the course schedule
- Observation: 9 hours of observation arranged independently by the student in a Montessori Elementary Classroom
The Orientation Course is an introduction to the developmental characteristics and needs of children between 6 and 12 years of age. It provides valuable information for parents, caregivers, school staff or any individual seeking general knowledge about Montessori developmental theory and education.
A.M.I. Assistant/Orientation Certificate
The Montessori Training Centre of British Columbia (MTCBC) works in affiliation with the Association Montessori Internationale. The courses offered must meet rigorous standards, in both content and teaching staff. The Certificate awarded by the MTCBC is globally recognized.
The course supports the following objectives:
- To learn how to observe the elementary child
- To learn how to interact with the elementary aged child
- To gain knowledge of Montessori philosophy on education for children aged 6-12 years
- To understand the importance of prepared environment: indoor and outdoor
- To support social, moral and intellectual development of elementary children
- To explore how an adult can best support optimal development for this age group in any environment, and to identify and remove obstacles to optimal development.
Trainer: Prabha Karthik
Prabha Karthik completed the AMI 6 to12 training course in 2009 and the 3 to 6 course in 2016 in Navadisha Montessori Foundation, Chennai, India. She has worked as part of the training team in Navadisha under Ann Dunne, first as a course assistant and later as a trainer-in-training from 2012 to 2021. She has helped to conduct many orientation courses, both online and in-person. She has also been a National Examiner on AMI Elementary courses. She holds a Master’s degree in Econometrics from Madras University, Diploma in Special Education from V-Excel Education Trust, and Diploma in Elementary Education from the National Institute of Open Schooling, Government of India.
Prabha has been involved with a Gandhian organisation Shanti Ashram for over 14 years. Through a partnership with Shanti Ashram, Arigatou International, UNICEF and Global Network of Religions for Children (GNRC), she has facilitated ethics education workshops for children, young people and parents both in rural and urban communities, within India and outside. She has also been part of an international working group as a Montessori specialist to help create and implement ethics education programmes for children under 12 years of age.
Course Assistant: Terrence Millie
Terry Millie believes that together we do more than educate; we nurture human potential. Terry works to inspire experiences that lead to reflection, personal growth, and learning. Through this work, he is also committed to a personal journey of lifelong learning. Terry has an M. Ed in addition to being an AMI trained guide at both the 3-6 and 6-12 levels. He is currently working towards becoming an AMI Elementary Trainer.